Pinterest Verification

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulus

Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulus is a dystopian novel set in a world where fashion and careers in the creative sector are the most important to society. Employees for those jobs are tapped at the age of twelve to begin their careers. Marla was tapped to the world of fashion and at the age of seventeen sits in one of the highest positions of her designer's headquarters. It is her job to determine if an item can become a trend or if it is no good. But, what happens when she is no longer considered to be on target with her decisions? 

Material Girls takes a hard look at the roles fashion and celebrity play in culture. The mix of dystopian ideas with Gossip Girl was a unique approach. I really enjoyed this book and felt like it was a fun read. I would definitely recommend it to readers age twelve and up. This book is from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group so I imagine it is geared toward young teens. I am not a young teen and really found it interesting and insightful. 

Themes in the book include: fashion, fame, wealth, recycling and appropriate conditions for workers. 

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I really did enjoy this book.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.