Pinterest Verification

Monday, December 29, 2014

Vanessa and Her Sister: A Novel by Priya Parmar (Netgalley Review)

(via)
Vanessa and Her Sister: A Novel by Priya Parmar is a delightful book written as the diary of artist Vanessa Stephen. It details the lives of those artists and thinkers that made up the Bloomsbury Set. This group included Virginia Woolf (Vanessa's sister), Lytton Strachey, and John Maynard Keynes, along with Vanessa and her brothers. The diary, while fictional, feels real in every aspect. The writing was well done and kept me reading. 

I really enjoyed this book and the author took fictional liberties in all the right ways. The story felt complex and real, much like life, while still held onto its integrity. I found that I was eager to pick up the story or to keep reading. I think most readers will enjoy it. 

The book looked at all aspects of the lives of the Bloomsbury Set. Not just their art and work, but also their lifestyle choices and relationships. This group was very intermingled in all aspects and the author's choice to use diary form helped to keep everyone straight. There was also a helpful character guide in the beginning of the book, which I referenced often.

The book releases tomorrow, if you are interested in reading it.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.