Pinterest Verification

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Rebels (Safelands #3) by Jill Williamson

Rebels is the conclusion to the Safelands trilogy by Jill Williamson. The first two books, Captives and Outcasts, were good and I was eager to read Rebels. It did not disappoint. If you haven’t read the first two books, be warned that this will likely contain spoilers for them.





Picking up where Outcasts leaves off, we find that the Glenrock remnant is headed underground. Mason and Omar are headed for liberation which most think means death. Levi now fully bears the mantle of leadership for his people and it is a heavy burden. The Owl figure who Omar created to show truth to the Safe-Landers will have to be resurrected with help from the Kindred. The Kindred are the underground group of which rebel leader, Ruston, is a member. They welcome the Glenrock remnant, but not fully. Shaylinn especially will have to figure out these new, tenuous relationships.


Rebels was full of plot twists and turns. I don’t want to give anything away, but it was definitely a fast-paced read. I didn’t want to put it down and when I had to, I kept finding myself wondering what was going to happen. Something I have mentioned before, Williamson continually changes the perspective of the story. I liked this as it provided a complete story that showed what each character was facing. This was handled very well and I never once had to figure out who the focus was on at any point.

I highly recommend this trilogy. It draws from the story of Daniel in the Bible and his experiences in Babylonian captivity. There are lots of other themes throughout the series, but I like that the themes of loving others (espcially those who have a different lifestyle) and family are the most resonant. Rebels was a great conclusion to the story and really seemed to wrap up all of the loose ends that come from the other books.  

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.