Pinterest Verification

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell

I recently received an advanced copy of The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell. The story focuses on the Bird family, specifically matriarch Lorelai. She has a problem with hoarding that grows worse as she ages. The four children Meg, Bethan, Rory and Rhys and their father, Colin, each face issues of their own particularly after a family members death. The book details the spiral of the family members. 

The House We Grew Up In was beautifully written and well constructed. While it bounced back and forth between the characters past and present with different perspectives on each part of their lives, the story was cohesive and never left me confused as to who was narrating and what was happening. The story followed an obvious trajectory as it waded through three different eras. 

The plot though led the characters into deeper and darker corners of themselves and the world. This was what I didn't like about the book. I don't like to go into corners as deep and dark as the ones Jewell negotiates. It was a bit unsettling to me and made it hard to keep picking up the book. It took me a long time to finish this book. (So long in fact that I am now 4 books behind schedule on my Goodreads challenge.) I can't, in good conscience, recommend this book as it was so grisly. However, you may have a tolerance for such subjects. If not consider this fair warning.

The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell releases on August 27.

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher. All opinions in this post are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.