Pinterest Verification

Friday, May 30, 2014

To the Class of 2014

Its been 10 years since I graduated from high school (the photo is from my college graduation - with my Grandmother). While I am not old enough to really give much advice, the song "Wake Me Up" by Aviccii has struck a chord with me lately. If you aren't familiar with it watch it here.

The line in the song that has gotten me most is: "Wake me up when its all over / when I'm wiser and I'm older"

The thing is that if you were to sleep through the next ten years, you would wake up older, but you wouldn't wake up wiser. 

The past ten years for me have been full of incredible learning and growth experiences. Many of the lessons that I have learned have  come with high costs. Many I couldn't learn except through my own struggles. 

Everything you go through has a way of shaping and molding you for the future. At some point you will have to stop looking at crisis as something horrible and awful and look at it as a part of life that you can grow from. 

Another line from the song that resonates with me is "All this time I was finding myself / And I didn't know I was lost." 

You don't have to get lost in order to find yourself. You will find yourself as you go through life. You can jumpstart the process by figuring out your personality type (though it may change). There are lots of different tests, each will explain who you are differently. 

Your quirks and pet peeves will also develop as you age. Don't let them get out of control. 

Finally remember, "Lifes a game made for everyone / And love is the prize."

Don't be afraid to love hard. Love your family. Love your friends. Love your life. Love your school. Love where you live. Love what you do. Love who you are. Love who you want to become.  Love your neighbors. Love your boss. Love everything and everyone. 

You are going to be great and to do great things. 


1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.