Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I've Never Been to Vegas but My Luggage Has by Mandy Hale

I’ve Never Been to Vegas but My Luggage Has by Mandy Hale is about her life. Hale starts with the story that resulted in the title of the book. From there she backtracks to high school through college. Hale became a Christian and then tells about landing her dream job. She lost that job and then explains how it sent her into a spiral. A deep, dark spiral. After her recovery she lands on her feet and drifts in and out relationships which are explained in detail. One of these was an abusive relationship which she does not gloss over. Among all of the relationship drama Hale began her blog The Single Woman and that weaves its way through the rest of her story.

I really did not like this book. I keep trying to find something about it that I did like, but I’ve struggled and can not. I didn’t find Hale’s story relatable or her writing enjoyable. Apparently a lot of people do. I was really excited to read this book and was thoroughly let down. There are a lot of cliches and trite “christianese” phrases. There is even a section about how Hale would speak her dreams into life, “I would dream aloud about how I wanted a certain celebrity to follow me on Twitter, and a week or so late they would start following me.” (From page 165)

Maybe its because I’m not single and I didn’t really spend much time on the dating scene. Maybe its because I am somewhat younger than Hale. Maybe it is something else, but this book fell more than flat for me. If I wasn’t writing a review I would have stopped reading it about a quarter of the way through. I did put it down and read something else in the meantime, but it was still lost on me. I hate writing about how I didn’t like it because it goes against everything in me. I am happy for Hale, for her accomplishments, her fulfilled dreams, and all of the good things that have happened to her. I wish her all the best. Truly.

If you want to read a different perspective check out my friend Brenda’s.

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. If you don’t think this review is honest, then I’m at a loss for what would be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.