Pinterest Verification

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay


Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay is a fantastic read. I really couldn’t put it down. The story is about Samantha Moore, a grown-up foster kid. Sam has been given the opportunity to attend Grad School at Northwestern University on a grant. The only stipulation is that she must write letters to her benefactor, the anonymous Mr. Knightley.



When Sam was growing up she found solace and friendship in literature. The characters from books by Austen, Dickens and Bronte were her nearest and dearest companions. Consequently, Sam quotes them more often than any normal person should. This has made it difficult for Sam to find her place in the world and find real people to share it with. She explains all of this and so much more to Mr. Knightley as she finds it easy to bare her soul to him. Meanwhile she starts dating for the first time and starts to get out of her comfort zone with her classmates.

I really enjoyed this book and felt drawn into Sam’s story. While I haven’t read as many of the classics as Sam has I enjoyed learning more about the stories through her eyes. There were lots of different parts of Sam’s life covered in her letters but it never really got jumbled or confusing. It was a fairly quick read as the different plot lines moved along fairly quickly. Overall this book was light and engaging. It made me both laugh and cry and I highly recommend it to you.

Also, because the story is told through letters it makes a great vacation read. None were too long and you can read just one or two at a time. In fact, I was excited to have a book like this to read while waiting on my car to warm up in the mornings, but I ended up having a couple of hours to kill and read most of it then.

I hope you enjoy!


This book was provided to me through the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.