Pinterest Verification

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The House on Moody Avenue by Celestine Hannemann


The House on Moody Avenue is the story of a house. Of course you can't tell the story of a house without telling the stories of those who live in it. Hannemann begins her story after the American Civil War, with Lisette, a young girl whose life is quite simply, really sad. Lisette's story is very tangled up with the story of Julia. Julia is determined to find her way into the top of the social sphere of New York City and finds that the house is a tool to do just that. 

After Lisette and Julia move away from the house, it sits empty for many years. In the 1920's it is restored by a former showgirl and becomes a boarding house to an interesting cast of characters. Their stories are told quickly, but interestingly. Each of them are very different and find their dreams (or not) in the Big Apple. 

Fast forward to the sixties and the house is condemned, the question though is how will its end come?



Generally I love stories that take place over many decades and tell people's whole story. This book however left me wanting. There were many grammatical errors and many superfluous words used. I read this book on my Kindle and when I would look up the words there wouldn't even be a definition in the dictionary.

The first story of Lisette and Julia is very sad and takes up the majority of the book. I was expecting each of the parts of the book to be equal so I was confused by this. However the story was interesting and kept me engrossed.

The stories from the sixties were very interesting, but now that I am thinking back on them, I feel like they were incomplete. I would have liked to know what happened after the stories ended, but I guess I will just have to imagine it. The tone of the book is so sad that I’m sure the endings just weren’t very happy.Overall, I'm not really sure that I would recommend this book. 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.