Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Word for Wednesday: Normal

Have you ever seen the movie "Angus"? It came out in 1995. If you haven't seen it, the movie has a fantastic message. I should also mention, that I only ever remember the made for TV version, back before you were allowed to have any kind of curse words in a program during primetime. I don't think it is a very clean movie, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway the movie is about a high school kid named Angus and his best friend. Angus is overweight and a science genius (nerd). He is continually humiliated by Rick Sanford, the school jock (played by James Vanderbeek). In order to get into the college of his dreams Angus has to come up with a science experiment. In his experiment he discovers that no two cells are alike. (I have seen this movie in a long time, so I could be completely wrong about the details.) There is no normal.

Angus realizes that if one person is considered normal then no one other person on the entire planet is normal, because no two people are alike. This was a great lesson for my nerdy middle/high school self. It is a lesson that has stuck with me all of these years.

Sometimes I struggle with wanting to judge others who aren't just like me. I continually reference this movie and realize all over again that no one will ever be just like me. 

There is no normal.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.