Pinterest Verification

Friday, July 6, 2012

Isle of Palms by Dorothea Benton Frank

Before we went on vacation I discovered Dorothea Benton Frank's books at the library. My family moved to South Carolina when I was twelve and I grew to love the Charleston area (the Lowcountry) when my cousin lived there for awhile. Ms. Frank grew up in the Lowcountry and that is where her books take place. 

Isle of Palms of is set on the Isle of Palms (go figure!) and is a story about finding yourself. The main character, Anna, lived on the Isle of Palms until her Grandmother made them move to Charleston after her mother's death. Anna spent the rest of her life longing for the Isle of Palms. So she finds a way to move back disrupting what had been her normal for a long time. Thus starts an intriguing and interesting tale about what is important in life and what really matters. 

I love that Ms. Frank weaves (Catholic) spirituality into her books without making them the over-the-top preaching of many religious novels. She makes you feel what her characters feel. She also uses truly local dialects in her writing - Gullah and what I call "Charlestonian". I can't wait to check out another of her books and transport myself to coast!

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Company Girls... Sounds like a good read! I used to live near Charleston and absolutely love the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love summer reading....thanks for the tip on a good book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.