Pinterest Verification

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

So Pop Rocks and I were eagerly awaiting the premier of Snow White and the Huntsman. We don't often go to movies, so we were excited to get to the show. Some of our good friends came with us, the four of us go to lots of movies together it seems!

P.R. and I were the first ones in the very large theater. I think it was the largest theater in the cinema, so we were expecting a crowd. It was fun to get what we deemed the best seats in the house. The attendance in the theater was sparse. 

I really enjoyed the movie. It was a different twist on the classic fairy tale we all love. As you know, I love Once Upon A Time, so it was fun to see Snow White's story in another, completely different way.

I am not going to tell you the story, because I don't want to spoil it for you and there are trailers you can watch online. 

On our drive home that evening I realized how clean the movie was, in comparison to normal Hollywood fare. I decided to look it up on Focus on the Family's website. There I realized I was right. What I noticed most was the lack of cuss words. There were three, to be exact. The violence in it wasn't gory and offending, but was somewhat necessary to the story line. Though not quite as clean, it reminded me of Disney's Prince of Persia. It goes to prove that you don't need the tremendous amounts of blood and gore that many flicks use to tell their stories. 

I don't recommend taking the kids unless you've already seen it. It is rate PG-13 and it got that rating for good reason. There are other elements to the movie that could be scary for children. Its a fairy tale so there is a lot of magic, both good and dark.

Overall though, I was impressed.

2 comments:

  1. Good review Erin. A lot darker and grittier than most fairy tales we see on the big screen, but it worked and gave this film a new edge to it that I think it needed. Story could have had more tension to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan! I like the grittier, more grown-up versions of fairy tales!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.