Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Word for Wednesday: Rest

Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint. 
 (Isaiah 40: 28-31)
(via

As a younger person this was my favorite Bible verse, it is still one my favorites. My current favorite bible verse relates to the same thing. Anyway, the point of this is: before vacation I was weary. 

I had a lot going on in my life that was out of my control and that I couldn't fix control change. It had worn me down. I had given it to God and then taken it back again. Given and taken back again. Given and taken back, AGAIN! Rinse. Repeat. Its a bad, bad cycle, y'all.

Anyway, being gone from routine and taking a break has made a difference. Do I still face the same issues? YES! I have however, been able to give things to God and leave them with Him. The break helped me to get some perspective and get on with my life. 

Its hot in Jamaica. (Duh?!) I loved the air conditioning in our room. Much like I love air conditioning in the South (it actually gets hotter here, eventually). The thing is, our room and the buses were the only air conditioned areas of our resort. Everything else relied on the ocean breeze and ceiling fans to keep cool. Most of the time this succeeded. Here's the thing though, the staff, mostly Jamaican natives, did not seemed to be bothered by the heat! It was really incredible to me. I often felt like just giving up and there they were smiling, happy, and really the most wonderfully kind people. 

The point is this: it made me want to be the kind of person who doesn't notice the heat, but relieves the weary like a cool drink of water with a smile or a kind word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.