Pinterest Verification

Friday, May 18, 2012

Vacation Reading: Snobs by Julian Fellowes

I love reading on vacation. I don't love being at the beach (its a pale girl's plight) but it made significantly better if I can sit in the warm shade and read. When you are pale it isn't any fun to spend time just soaking up the rays.

Anyway while we were on vacation I picked up two books from the library to take with me. Actually, I picked up three, but I read Bossypants by Tina Fey before we left. I started Snobs by Julian Fellowes sitting in the BNA terminal waiting for our first boarding call. We had of course arrived early and left me with some time to read. 


Snobs 
(via)

The story was intriguing. It is a story about an upper middle-class English girl, Edith Lavery, in the 1990s and her quest to rise into the ranks of the upper-class of English society. In case you were wondering, there is apparently a distinct difference between upper middle-class and upper-class. Upper-class members do not usually talk to those below them. Edith meets Charles Broughton, heir to his very well-known families estate. He is a reserved man who finds Edith charming. What follows is a tale about love, lust, heartache, and difficult choices. 

The book was interesting to this American girl because I don't know anything about English society except how it has been portrayed in movies and books. It was an interesting look at a very different type of life. It is also a great book about the true meaning of marriage. Keep in mind however, that it is English and I mentioned that there is lust involved in this story. 

All in all it made for great vacation reading as it was easy to read in bits and pieces. It also kept pulling me back in and making me want to read more.

What is your favorite chill-out activity on vacation?

2 comments:

  1. "Snobs" by Julian Fellowes is a thoroughly delightful read that I've just, unfortunately, come to the end of. I might be tempted to refer to the book as "satire," in that Fellowes makes caustic observations on the behavior and mindset of the British upper class, its hangers-on, and those who aspire to enter its orbit if not its rarefied atmosphere. To me, an American with no first-hand experience of this world, these observations, as well as the depiction in general, sound dead-on.

    But I have trouble with the "satire" label in that Fellowes' characters are such full-blooded, three-dimensional character studies. These are people that one begins to care about, despite sometimes atrocious behavior and the fact that many of them are, indeed, snobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Brasil. I know what you mean especially about caring about the characters even when they act awfully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.