Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Word for Wednesday: Blessed

Sunday morning we sang "It is Well with My Soul" during morning worship. Its one of my favorite hymns. As we sang though I thought about the words.

When peace like a river attendeth my way.

I don't generally think about the state of my soul when my world is bathed in peace.
When sorrows like sea billows roll.

I realized that I don't say it is well with my soul when sorrows roll into my world. I've always thought that the act of saying it is well with my soul didn't matter. I know that it is well with my soul I don't have to say it. But to adequately share my faith I have to say it. What if I don't? When sorrows come in I don't act like all is well with my soul, I act like a spoiled brat.
 
Whatever my lot thou has taught me to say, "It is well with my soul."

It occurred to me in that moment that I don't always verbally praise God in the storm. Instead I verbally question God. 

My lot is to live in a home with a dog and husband I love. My lot is to go to a good job each day. My lot is to eat three meals a day, without wandering where the next one will come from. My lot is to drive a car. My lot is to have pretty much whatever I want. My lot is to use indoor plumbing. My lot is to have electricity. My lot is not be to scared of truly bad people who are out to get me. My lot is wonderful. And beautiful. And privileged. And so often I mistake a patch of class 2 rapids for a stormy gale. And I need to get a better perspective. 

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    So very, very true. A nice reminder that we are to praise God in the midst of our storms.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.