Pinterest Verification

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The (we're not having a) Baby Post

"There it is." I said to Pop Rocks the other evening. It was just a normal night. We were on the couch with Mary watching TV and I was perusing the (insert clever adjective) Facebook. 

"What?" he asked, so innocently. 

"There's the weekly, 'I'm pregnant' post." 

"Oh, who is it this time." 

"A girl I went to high school with, you don't know her." 

Not that it mattered if he knew her. It happens at least once a week in my feed. Somebody announces that they're pregnant. Sometimes with their second kid. One week there were three. different. announcements. And each time I'm so thankful that my parents don't want to be a part of Facebook. It not that I don't wish each of these parents-to-be well, its just that, well, its just that, its just that, 

Exactly.

I'm not sure why it upsets frustrates befuddles me. Its just a bit overwhelming.

Like I'm so behind in my life or something. I'm super happy for each of these growing families. I truly am and I want each and every one of them to know that.

Its just that I get asked about our plans for a family a. whole. lot. By a lot of people. I have a whole slew of snarky answers too.

Usually all that comes out is, "We're just not there yet."

But what if we were, what if we had been trying for a year or more? What if we didn't want to have kids, but didn't want to declare it to you? What if I was expecting and not telling anyone? Why do I even have to have this conversation?

In case you were wondering,


Has this ever happened to you? What did you do?

p.s. Don't ask me if I'm having a baby. I'm not and one day when I am, I'll tell you whenever it is I want you to know.

p.p.s. I originally wrote this awhile ago and haven't had the nerve to post it. So no it isn't you that I'm referring to.

p.p.p.s. In case I wasn't clear. I am so super excited and happy and glad and joyful for each of my friends that are having children. I really really really am.

3 comments:

  1. I understand COMPLETELY. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog from Jon Acuff’s site. He has created a tremendous forum for sharing our blogs and impacting more people with them.

    I hope my blog can be an encouragement to you also.

    I write it for encouragement and motivation daily.

    http://i-never-fail.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching the connections grow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.