Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Word for Wednesday: Offended


I hear it over and over again... "I just tell it like it is. If somebody gets offended by it then thats their problem." 

I have to wonder if thats the best thing. You see, I'm pretty sensitive. I have to make an effort not to get offended or have my feelings hurt. The worst party is that the place I do this most often is at church. Its more common for me to have my guard up there than other places. 

I have to wonder if not caring about others feelings is really the best plan. After all, if we offend each other, what about those who are just checking things out and not real sure about this idea of Christianity. What about those who were offended so deeply that they wrote Christianity off. Will they ever be reachable if we continue to offend them. 

I know I need to work on this. One of my common phrases is, "No offense, but..." I once heard it said that by using this phrase you are offending someone. Its so easy to say words that hurt and impossible to put them back in our mouths.

I'm not saying that we should not speak the truth. Rather I'm saying that we must speak the truth in love.

The passage that got me thinking about this several weeks ago is: 

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.  Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 4:7-11
(Emphasis mine)

Here's to loving one another so that  we can grow with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.