Pinterest Verification

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Word for Wednesday: The Intersection of Grace and Kindness



This is part of my takeaway from the Get Motivated seminar I attended on Monday. If you missed the first post it can be found here. I don't know for sure, but it seemed as though many of the speakers on Monday believed in God. Many stated that they did. One of the themes I picked up on led me to the intersection of grace and kindness. 

Colin Powell told a story about parking attendants in a garage. The cars had to be stacked - three cars would be parked in a row and the cars in the 1 and 2 positions couldn't leave til the card in the 3 position did so. When asked how it was determined who got each position the attendants explained that if someone rolled their window down smiled and talked to the attendants then they usually got the coveted position of number 3. 

James Smith told a story about how they took water to their garbage man and talked to him. Mr. Smith had more garbage than allowed on the route. He helped to load the extra bags in the truck. The garbage collector told him that no one else on the route had ever helped to load the truck or brought him water. He gets great service from this garbage collector.

I think this is such an important lesson to learn and one that I have been working on lately. As a Christian, my example of Christ is only as good as I am. This means that if I treat someone without respect or dignity then my example shows that Christ is this way. I know that I need to be working hard at this. It makes such a difference to those who see my life if I go out of my way to be nice or kind to someone who doesn't fit the normal in my life. 

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity" Colossians 3:12 -14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I hope you know it means the world to me to hear from you.